Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Adoption Finalization


I have been fascinated by Courtroom TV shows since I was a kid.  Shows like Law and Order, JAG, and now I like Suits, Drop Dead Diva, so I know what Hollywood wants the courtroom to look and feel like.  But I have never been in one.  Have you? 

It’s intimidating. 

Naturally intimidating.

The trip to Elko was wonderful.  We took our time and made it just in time to surprise our old ward.  This surprise was a bit more than Mason expected.  He was mobbed at the door by 15 primary kids and a few of their parents.  I don't think the chapel had ever been that rowdy.  Every one of them wanted Mason to sit by them, and wanted to take him home.  It took a lot to get everyone to quiet down and return to their seats, but I loved it.  We miss Elko very much.

Staying with our friends was perfect.  Mason tried keeping up with their 14 month old girl the best he could.  Sadly he's still a bit small and ended up being sat on but it didn't seem to faze him.  We got him back up and he stood proudly beside her while holding onto the couch.   Though you could tell he figured if she didn't have to hold on to get around why did he.  So we had to scoop him up several times so that he could try again. 

Then Monday finally came.  

I wasn't nervous just excited, which sometimes feels like the same thing as you contain the emotion the best you can.  Otherwise it will jump out of your body uncontrolled.  With Mason smelling great and looking even better we made our way to the Court House.  It was a completely surreal feeling.

We were ushered into the courtroom and took our seats, with our attorney at our side and our Agency Caseworker (Tracy) on the other.  Everyone was smiling, except for the two ladies up front.  Mason was bouncing while turning in circles on my lap, trying to see everything in the new room.  From the different chairs and tables to the lights on the ceiling.  We were all waiting for the Judge to enter … that’s when the smell changed.

A bit shy I had to ask if I could go change his diaper anywhere or else this whole experience might be uncomfortable for him.  Instantly the mood in the room lightened for everyone.  The ladies up front finally broke out in a grin.  But the security guy was the best,

“I think we’d all appreciate that,” he chuckled.  “You can use the room where the Jury deliberates.”

First the courtroom now the jury deliberation room, awesome!  Thanks to Mason I got to see all sorts of places that day!  We were led into a nice room with a large table.  And that table is where I took care of Mason.  Nervous about making the judge wait on us, I changed Mason as fast I could.  What a day to put shoes on an 8 month old.  But I was able to return quickly.  At record time speed I guess since I was met with many impressed expressions.

“We should have timed her,” said the attorney.

“I might have to rewrite my reports,” said Tracy, “In the future I probably need to include a timed diaper changing section.”

Embarrassed?  Yes I was but it was hilarious.

When the judge entered it became very real.  The atmosphere was the same as I had seen on those TV dramas.  Quite serious and even more formal in the way everyone spoke.  Mitch and I sat quietly knowing we did not speak the lingo.  While the attorney and the judge talked than she turned the time over to him to question us.

Mitch was sworn in.  Than using questions directly from the petition we read and signed weeks before the attorney asked several questions.  One in particular being, “What is your relationship with the child.”

Mitch didn’t hesitate; “Father” was his answer.  Then there was a pause as it sunk in for him and me.

It wasn’t a new concept or anything.  We’ve always been Mason’s mom and dad since the day we were entrusted with him.  But at that moment we had just declared that fact to someone with legal power.  It sent a tingle down my back as I’m sure it did Mitchel’s.   

It felt so good.  And I did have to fight back the tears.

The questions continued until I was sworn in.  I was asked to verify if everything my husband had just said was true.  (It was)  And then I got to answer what my relationship with the child was. Mother is such a fun word to say anyways, but at that moment I had a very hard time not bouncing in my seat.  But that wasn’t the end -

“And is it true that your very fast at changing diaper?” asked the attorney.

“In a courtroom as I was told,” added the judge with a slight smirk on her sober face.

“Yes I am!”  I declared while everyone else laughed

I appreciate everything LDS Family Services did for us.  The brief testimony of Tracy Cassity, confirming that Mason is thriving in our care and that we are good parents, will always stick with me.  The judge signed and confirmed, all in her legal way, that his name is officially Mason Glen Parks.  And that Mitch and Brooke are his legal parents.

What an amazing process.  Though it was hard, and before Mason it felt impossible.  The Lord has looked out for us and blessed us. 

At the end of this day I kept thinking about the emotions I was feeling.  And I kept saying the same thing.  It wasn’t a feeling of relief; it was a feeling of completion.  Though there is still one more thing to do …

December 22nd.

I love my son with all my heart.  He surprises me every day.  As he eats and grows, smiles and laughs. 

This is my family and we are so happy to be together.

3 comments:

  1. You did it Brooke!!!! I am so happy for you and your family! Wow! What a journey! Looking back and seeing how far you and Mitch have come together just wow. I can totally see you bouncing in your chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWW!!! what a sweetly written post - there may have been a few tears here :o) SO EXCITED all the legal is FIN & you can breathe a bit easier!! on to the 22nd!!

    ReplyDelete

A Special Note About This Year's Photo Purchases

All proceeds from my winter photoshoots will go directly to Gabriel Watson and his family, providing them with financial relief as they navi...