Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spontaneous Reno Trip

First of all I am so disappointed in myself.  I have NO PICTURES.  I know terrible right!  Well when I got there I realized I had left the camera in the car but we decided we wouldn't dwell on it and still had fun.

And here is the fun we had.

So Monday night I got a brief text from Mitch saying we MIGHT be going to Reno on Wed for an interview with the Car Sales division of Enterprise but he wouldn't know until the next day.  So of course I sent word to my best friends in Reno to keep their phones off silent because I might be coming with Mitch and I expected to have someone to play with.  Tuesday came and finally Mitch said that yes he needed to go to Reno Wednesday for two things so Mason and I packed our bags and told my Reno friends to clear their schedules.

Well of course they couldn't do that but luckily what they had planned was easy enough to invite myself too.  The three of us jumped in the car Wed Morning and Mason did so good on the four hour drive.  He slept the entire way, and he had started sleeping long before we got in the car so I was sure he would have woken up due to hunger but no.  In fact I was so sure he was starving that I poked him in his car seat a few times hoping to wake him up so that he would eat, almost seven hours went by and he still slept wouldn't wake up no matter how much I tried to wake him.

Than we got to the hotel, yes we love Enterprise because they gave us a hotel room at the grand Serra.  Pretty cool place, pretty nice room.  That's when Mason decided to wake up.  And then when we got back in the car he conked out again.  This kids is AWESOME!  Mitch than dropped the two of us off at Jammilynn's house.  It was so nice to be there again.  Desmond (her almost 2 year old) had just gone down for a nap so Jammilynn got to focus on Mason.  It took a bit for the little guy to wake up again but when he did he wasn't phased by the fact he'd never seen the woman holding him before he just found her comfortable to snuggle up too.  Plus she had all these awesome toys, he liked her bouncer the best and settled down about an hour later for another short nap.

Eventually Desmond woke up and oh man did the entertainment begin at that moment.  I think he really did remember me because he warmed up to me pretty quickly.  I haven't seen him in about a year so this baffled me.  And man is he a ham.  He does a very serious "no, no" using his finger just like his mommy, Lots of "BOO!", running without looking where he's going because to him it's more important that your watching than it is tripping over the many toys he left on the floor in front of him, oh and the knuckle bump.  I have never seen such a young boy do such a knuckle bump before, over and over and over ... and over again.  He even gave Mason many a knuckle bump, luckily Mason's hands are usually in a fist so it worked out nicely.

I could have watched that boy forever.  Desmond I love you!  And I want you to play with my Mason when he gets older because I know you'll teach him good things with lots of laughter!

After spending the entire afternoon laughing and relaxing I conveniently arrived in Reno at the same time my old ward was having a Relief Society party.  Seriously this timing couldn't be any better.  Jammilynn took Mason and I to the meeting where they were doing what they called "Speed Friending"  It's like Speed Dating but with questions to get to know more friends.  And oh I've got to tell you this is a brilliant idea for ANY Relief Society group.  There was a huge turn out too.   I mean I was drawn to it because they were having three chocolate fountains but by the end I realized I had more fun with the speed friending part than I did eating.  - GASP!

With name tags on so that you won't have to ask their name you would just read it and move one, everyone took a seat.  Then at the buzzer, or in this case the cuckoo clock, everyone would rotate to the left.  And at each seat there was a random question taped to the table in front of them.  So if you wanted you could just talk you could or you could ask each other the questions in front of you.  Questions like, "What is the most annoying commercial you've seen?"  "Have you ever been on a game show?  If not what game show would you love to be a guest on?"  "What is your earliest childhood memory?" "If you had your own talk show who would be your first guest and why?" Oh I wish I could remember all of them, there were some really good ones.

Anyway back to the real topic the moment we arrived Mason was mauled by every woman there.  Everyone I miss from my old ward had come to this activity so we surprised them all and I got to show off the little guy. It was brilliant.  In fact at one moment I blinked and realized that he was freely being passed from arms to arms.  It gave me chills, because I know every one of those ladies at one point had been thinking about our situation and hoping/praying for this miracle to happen and watching their enthusiasm just added to my gratefulness. The main topic was his hair.  Everyone was fascinated by Mason's hair. I know it may seem strange but everyone had to touch those soft curls.  And it didn't stop there, when speed friending began I handed Mason off to the husband of one of the ladies, (I wish I could remember this brother's name) and Mason was so happy to see another boy that he just lounge in that brother's arms the entire time.

Needless to say by the end of this night Mason was so exhausted that he slept very well in that strange hotel room.  I could tell he knew it wasn't home, but after a few minutes he was okay with that.  Plus he liked looking at the city lights out the 11 story window.  The next morning he was a happy camper, while Mitch went to meet with his boss Mason and I sat on the bed and chatted.  He gave me almost two minutes of smiles and happy grunts, once again why did I leave that camera in the car - GUR!

The trip home he was just as good.  Slept the whole way.  We stopped at a rest stop and he woke up wanting to eat but quickly fell back to sleep as soon as the car began moving again.  I even pulled him out to show him off to the people at Mitch's work place when we got back and he kept sleeping while all these women gushed over him.  Mason is truly a superstar.  I walked in and instantly people from all over asked "Is that Mason?" Completely threw me off because some of these ladies I hadn't even met yet but they knew Mitch had a baby and this must be it.  My husband is very popular in all departments of that airport and because of that he's made my son into a superstar.  Everyone wanted to feel his hair or see those rubber band arms.

And that was our spontaneous trip to Reno over the past two days.  And as long as Enterprise keeps giving us a hotel room we look forward to doing it again sometime.


~ This is my family and we're having a blast! ~

1 comment:

  1. Well I am going to bring our camera for sure! I have lots of catching up to do. I envy everyone who has been able to cheek pinch! See ya'll Friday!

    ReplyDelete

A Special Note About This Year's Photo Purchases

All proceeds from my winter photoshoots will go directly to Gabriel Watson and his family, providing them with financial relief as they navi...