Sunday, July 31, 2022

Moments... I desire to remember. July 31, 2022

    “The gift of our physical bodies is a transcendent miracle. A unique body is given to each of us by our loving Heavenly Father. He created it as a tabernacle for our spirits, to assist each of us in our quest to fulfill the full measure of our creation." 

The minutes ticked away as I watched her. Peaceful and still. I half expected her to open her eyes, smile and say 'gotcha' but the feeling that wrapped around me was final. 

"Well done. My good and faithful servant."

The Saviors love filled the room and though I knew I was hurting, I knew I was crying, I was filled with a peace that is difficult to describe. But It was tangible. 

Food

The messages of love came pouring in which propelled the day to continue forward. I eventually I found myself with a slice of pizza in my hand. Looking at it gave me pause. It was half gone so either I had been eating it, or someone had handed me a half eaten slice. Either way I wondered, Was I even hungry? The answer was, No. But my body needed to keep moving forward.  So I finished it and still I marveled at the comfort I felt. 

Laughter

There is never a time in our home where there wasn't laughter. Even last night as we talked, we laughed. I sat back in the corner for a moment and watched my siblings interact with each other. It dawned on me that laughter can be reverent. Though that isn't always the case with my siblings. Last night, each laugh, each giggle, each smile reflected the reunion that my mother was sure to be enjoying on the other side. 

Laughter is good. We are blessed to have learned how to laugh.

She Left:

I am blessed to have people around me to prepare me. There is a step that happens when the mortuary comes a takes the body away. For months my mom has been in her room. It is engrained in me to expect her there. In the place she designed. In the place she is most comfortable. In her own home. 

Bless my aunt for warning me of the moment mom would physically leave her room. Though I had watched her spirit leave it was a different experience when her physical body was taken from her safe haven. 

Her home is my favorite spot. Her bed is my favorite bed and always will be! But without a spirit we are not complete. 

We followed her out the door and waved our white handkerchiefs as she was driven away. That will be another reunion someday. The resurrection when her sprit and her body reunite in their perfect form.

    "Our bodies allow each of us to experience the great plan of salvation that He has designed for all His precious children. He wants us eventually to become more like Him and return to live with Him. That great blessing would not be possible without our first receiving a physical body in this probationary estate.”

The Sunset: 

We marveled at the sunset. It was one of mom's favorite things. I choose to believe she built that home, in that spot, for the Basin City Sunset. I would catch her looking out at it often. So that night particularly vibrant as the colors stretched across the horizon. Cradling  each Mountain in its cloudless blanket.

I Sang:

To drive home was a last minute choice. I didn't want to be alone but I hadn't taken a moment away from everyone. I would sit quietly in the corner and listen to my family talk and laugh and read about mom. So when 11 o'clock rolled around and stillness was setting in I decided driving home would be okay. 

I drove. The night surrounding me. My headlights shown the road clearly as I moved rapidly past the orchards, and sagebrush. I opened my mouth, and I sang. I sang "Consider the Lilies". I sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me". I didn't cry as I sang. The stillness filled me with music and I wanted to sing some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Special Note About This Year's Photo Purchases

All proceeds from my winter photoshoots will go directly to Gabriel Watson and his family, providing them with financial relief as they navi...