Today was a good day. And it's going to sound strange that I say that after you hear about the day I just had. So bare with me.
The plan: Swimming at My Mom's house, while I mow the lawn and plant some plants. Basically get the yard in order. This plan was wonderful because I had Mitch with us to watch the kiddos in the pool making it so, I don't have to worry about anyone drowning.
Yay!
We get there and things are going as planned. It's not too hot but hot enough for the pool. When my dad comes out of the house saying mom asked to talk with me.
Yay! Mom wants to talk.
I brush myself off and run inside. Wash my hands, but my Dad stops me just outside mom's bedroom door. His face a bit more solemn than before, he takes a deep breath and shares with me his experience this morning.
The night before was bad for mom. She was in a lot of pain and couldn't sleep. She said even expressed to him that 'It's time for her to go' then requested him to specifically pray that the Lord release her from the pain and help her cross through the veil to the other side.
I was expecting my heart to completely stop at the moment, but I felt myself breathing. I felt myself blink. I felt my heart beat hard in my chest with no interruptions. I'd heard what he had said, and yet I was still okay.
He then said he only told me this because he doesn't know what she wants to talk to me about. Apparently she had been in a deep sleep and woke up, instantly asking if I was there.
Now the tears filled my eyes though they didn't fall.
I took the warning with care, gave dad a hug, and walked down the hallway. Mom was sitting in her chair with her hot pad around her and fuzzy blanket on top of that. I do the exact same thing. I have my chair, my blanket and a hot pad at home. This thought brought a small smile to my face along with the distinct feeling that my mom, wasn't laying there alone.
I sat beside her and took her hand to wake her. She didn't wake up very fast. She shifted between sleep and awake for a while. But the first thing she said,
"It has sure been fun."
I don't cry pretty, and my laugh-cry is even more absurd in appearance, but at this point there was no stopping it. The tears flowed and a I giggled.
I wanted to keep her around a little longer, even if she was ready to leave she had wanted to talk to me about something, So I helped her know I was there. She lets me massage her leg to help with some pain relief, and I wait for her to wake up.
"Yep, yep. Keep choosing the Right." she tells me. I assure I will since I had a mom that not only taught me but showed me how. After a few more minutes she muttered so softly I couldn't understand. Until suddenly she heard me when I asked What are you thinking about mom?
Her eyes opened slightly and she pointed over my shoulder with her pointer finger and her pinky. "Those look a like," she said. I had been working with her plants so my first thought was she was imaging the plants balancing outside. In which case looking alike is a super great compliment. When she repeated it, another thought came to mind.
I asked her who looked alike and, with eyes slightly open, she responded, "All those girls."
Again she motioned over my shoulder and I felt a huge feeling of peace surround me. My mom is not alone. Yes, she has Dad with her, and at the moment I was blessed to be with her, but she was surrounded by angels... but which Angels?
I asked her if they looked a like because they were family, "I think so." She agreed, but only for a moment. Then she said, "Or he's out of line. Probably that."
I can only assume she was somehow referring to her brother Lee. You know, he's actually the one I imagine meeting her on the other side. His voice and laughter often cross my memory a few times today, and it brings me so much comfort.
Over the next 30 minutes she has a hard time coming too. She still sleeps but every once in a while she smiles, or talks softly to someone else. I couldn't make out any of the small murmurs but whoever it was had her talking. No matter, I stop waiting for her to tell me why she asked for me.
That's when she opens her eyes. Using her hands too as she spoke she asked me to please get rid of that blue dress in her closet. It just never worked out and the fabric was just to wrinkly.
Again I giggled. If that request ends up being the last words my mom speaks to me, then I have no complaints. I love my mom so much and I love that over the past several months she has allowed to me to work through my own fears and grief by allowing me to serve her. I know her love language, mainly because it's mine too. It's difficult for us to ask for help but when others take the time to serve us we feel very loved.
So the fact she was asking for my help gave me a giggle, and gave me the strength to go back out and mow the lawn even though I wanted to stay sitting there all day.
My mom is such a classy lady. She loves to laugh, and hear her children laugh. She has amazing taste and is so strong. She taught me to loving and yet resilient. It's those teachings and the prayers for so many that give me the clarity to say honestly, I'm okay.
I will be laugh-crying through this difficult time of loss. Both because I hate for her to go, but s
he is completely right. "It sure has been fun."

No comments:
Post a Comment