Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Family and Photography






























Over Thanksgiving, I was thinking about why I started with Photography? It was before the job, it was before my first camera. For some reason I loved it before, but why? Why did I love taking pictures? 

Then my sister asked me to snap her family pictures this Thanksgiving weekend. It was a super quick trip so it was only minutes to spare in our busy family holiday schedule. But as I was snapping her pictures I remembered that it was my family that made me love photography. First I loved just taking pictures of the places we went. Then it was capturing those moments during games, football, baseball, volleyball, basketball. Then, when the nieces showed up, it was capturing those little expressions and moments that would never come again.

I think I lost my love of photography for a while. So much pressure to make it into a business. Specifically the pressure to charge the right price for my photos and to be aggressive in advertising. Whelp I hated my advertising classes in College so I'm not surprised I wasn't living up to expectations. 

Anyway, my love was dimmed, but I do still have a love for capturing a moment that will never happen again. 

It'll take time. But I'm rediscovering my love. My family is helping me do that.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! It looks like you had a blast! Its so fun to see TK in the middle of it all now! I totally get what you are saying about building a business. I did 2 sessions and then I haven't had any desire to even pick up my camera this week. Some weeks I cant get enough and I am taking pictures of everything! and then other times Im like meh, uninspired or burnt out. I still love it, I am just not feeling it.

    I made my portfolio but for some reason I am holding back and not putting it out there. I am not sure why...maybe I am just a big chicken haha. And the pressure of making / hoping people will be happy with their pictures is stressful. Anyway, keep taking pictures of your family. They are treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. floor hockey with cousins has to be the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete

A Special Note About This Year's Photo Purchases

All proceeds from my winter photoshoots will go directly to Gabriel Watson and his family, providing them with financial relief as they navi...